Skip to main content

The semicolon wars by Bryan Hayes, reviewed.

I'm not an expert progammer, but I've been working with differnet programming languages for about 3 years now. I'm still a newcomer to this whole new world of opportunities with thechnology and programming... I don't think that the fact that I'm slim matters (a-ha) , since I think I've learned a lot in this past years.

The point of view presented by Bryan Hayes is really interesting, and appealing. Starting out the course with a "let's go LISP!" seems like a good reading. But I've come across another good reading: "How to Choose a Programming Language: don't" and you can read it here.

As I have said before, I'm not yet an expert in the languages in which I feel the most proeficcient, but as one of my professors once told us: A specific requierment requieres an specific technology, and not the other way around. Since thinking about Technology setting us new requierements doesn't always make sense, since it may not be what you need in this particular moment. Yes, the trend sets the standard for the industry to go towards a goal, but that doesn't mean that we need an "smart fridge" right now, to make an example. Take this review by Elizabeth -although not entirely right - it has some strong points. Generally speaking Elizabeth's post is about why the internet of things (IOT) will eventually crash. The example she takes is the smart fridge. It takes into consideration some points about why it is a bad idea to shorten the lifespan of a fridge, from 14 years to maybe 7 years (think about the planet, dude!).

Having said this, let's take into consideration what we want to do before choosing how to do it. Yes, there are amazing trends out there, IOT, BigData, multinucleus programming... Python, Curl and Links, but we must choose the best suited solution to each given problem.

Generally speaking, I'm really keen on Java because it seems to me that is flexible. I'm also keen on SQL because on the readability that it offers. I like other languages like Swift and Python for this same reason. But I most say that one of the languages that I have liked learning the most is C because it seems powerful. As for my first class using Clojure to take a look at new solutions, it seems to me as a powerful language too. So LISP, please don't dissapoint me!


Diego.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revenge of the nerds, by Paul Graham.

So, once again we go to Paul Graham and his absolute amazing opinions on lisp. He understands the difficulty in changing the industry, but faces this with a good sense of humor and courage. You can check out his blog entry here . Taking it to the next level So the story goes like this. Michael Phelps went out there to change the world of an olympic sport. And did. Only he and his coaches know what he is doing differently but definitely, he is. Michael Phelps is such a good example because before Phelps, it was very rare to think of a swimmer that could do all the strokes in a competition, from crawl from breast stroke to his olympic record breaking butterfly stroke. In a sense, Phelps is like lisp. Phelps came to the 2004 Athens olympic games as a kid, he was only 19 years old, but everyone knew he had the chance to break the olympic record for 7 gold medals in the same event. He went on it and won 8 of them. So... what is he doing differently than any other swimmer? How long does

Rich Hickey on Clojure

So Clojure is a new programming language developed by a person named Rich Hickey. You can hear about the features of this programming language  here . The developer of Clojure then states what we feared the most, we were right. Lisp language wasn't firstly thought to be used by everyone. In one of my previous posts you can hear another podcast by Dick Gabriel on why did Lisp languages fail so bad. You can go ahead and read my review on that podcast too, to which you can find a link in the post too. Basically it explains that lisp failed because of many many things, but mainly because of what he calls " the winter of lisp" and how did artificial intelligence made lisp languages fail so bad. Now there is a new hope, another lisp like language has been developed, and it still in it's early days, but it already addresses many of the problems that lisp had, and added some cool new features. Some of the solutions that Clojure provides are: Interoperability with th